Saturday, September 13, 2014

Karnataka Express.

A strenuous day at the capital at a fairly sultry climate made sure I was overworked and I needed some rest. Having confirmed it by my friend, I decided to post pone my "India Gate at Night" to next visit to New Delhi. However, I decided to wander around the Capital Station of India. Not because I was fit enough to roam around, but it was only due to the love for the railways. I knew I may not get a chance to experience New Delhi Railway Station again in my life so I decided to take wee bit of risk by pushing my limits just to see late evening departures.

Swarna Jayanti Rajdhani Express bound for Ahmedabad, followed by a quick inspection of Prayagraj Express bound for Allahabad. Moved onto platform 5 to check the power of Uttar Sampark Kranti Express bound to Udhampur and then the departure of Jammu Tawi bound Rajdhani Express.

Then came the announcements for the Bangalore City bound Karnataka Express. PA system announced that it will depart platform 3. There was a cold shiver running down the spine as soon as I heard it.

Kerala Express, departure 11:25- platform 3.

Andhra Pradesh Express, departure 17:25- platform 3.

Karnataka Express, departure 21:15- platform 3.

Tamil Nadu Express, departure 22:30- platform 3.

Platform 3 of New Delhi Railway Station could probably be tagged as a platform which serves the Peninsular India or the foundation of India. No sooner I heard the announcement, than I rushed to see the departure of Bangalore City bound Karnataka Express.

For some reasons, I'm emotionally attracted towards the state of Karnataka. May be it is because it is where I leanrt to walk, speak or may be because it is from where my ancestors hail from, or may be because it is the state which gave me my favorite food (Bisi Bele Bath, Set Dosa), or may be because I really like the heritage sites like Hampi, Badami, Sravanabelagaula, Sonda, Gokarna, Aihole, Pattadakal, Srirangapattana, the mighty Western Ghats and Udupi. I honest do not know why I am so attracted towards Karnataka.

All in all, I momentarily realized that I'm a big fan of Karnataka and I involuntarily decided that I will watch the train depart and then go and have my dinner.Having reached the power of Bangalore City bound Karnataka Express. I gazed at the destination board of Karnataka Express. It had the name written in Kannada. It read the following with pictures of Vidhan Soudha and India gate on the either side of "Karnataka Express" with yellow background:

ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಎಕ್ಸ್ಪ್ರೆಸ್
कर्नाटका एक्सप्रेस
Karnataka Express
Bangalore City<-> New Delhi

The elated feeling in mine went up to sky as soon as I saw the words written in Kannada because I had experienced both ఆంధ్ర ప్రదేశ్ ఎక్స్ప్రెస్ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಎಕ್ಸ್ಪ್ರೆಸ್ on the very same day. Yes, I had many discussions regarding these trains with my father. He told me many stories about his sojourns in Karnataka Express, the different livery it had and all I wished at that time was I could live that. May be he isn't with me currently or maybe it wasn't something what he experienced, however I was witnessing something which was very close to what he narrated me and it was moments like that which sometimes lets us feel free with an odd tear.

I read the destination board over a million times in my mind, and then checked the loco. GZB WAP 4. A quick call to my friend based at Bangalore just to share few moments and to keep myself engaged in something else.

It was 21:10 and I finished up my call. The chief and his assistant were ready. Assistant performed all the checks and he gives a nod to the chief. The chief gets in touch with the guard and makes sure everything is set fine, three minutes before the departure. All formalities done, now the chief and the assistant await for the signal to turn yellow.

21:15- the starter turns yellow. Loud whistle blown to alert all the passengers. Assistant comes out with walkie talkie in one hand and torch in the other. I was so close that I could hear the guards voice from walkie talkie "Loco pilot 2628- Everything set sir, please move ahead." Yes the red beast started moving.

Unknown anguish in me started, for the obvious reasons. I am not on board a train which is in my bucket list. "ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಎಕ್ಸ್ಪ್ರೆಸ್ कर्नाटका एक्सप्रेस Karnataka Express; Bangalore City<-> New Delhi" The destination board which I read over million times now is moving towards Bengaluru. I could read it two times and then it went out of my sight. Military coach was full. So were the general coaches.

As the train started moving, my anguish started reaching to its peaks. AC coaches went past. Now the sleeper coaches started passing by. Few of them has the charging points. Few of them didn't. Pantry Car passed by, giving me a gentle remembrance of Bisi Bele Bath.

Train suddenly slowed down. Yes there was a chain pulling. I could confirm it as the chief blew the trademark chain pull whistle. However, the pressure wasn't built fully, which prevented the train from being stopped. The chief accelerated with a whistle and the train moved more confidently. The second time, there is no stopping. Gradually, the last coach turned up and I felt temporarily happy as I had a chance to see the destination board once again.

ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಎಕ್ಸ್ಪ್ರೆಸ್
कर्नाटका एक्सप्रेस
Karnataka Express
Bangalore City<-> New Delhi

This time, it was pretty quick, I could read it just once and all I found after a moment was empty tracks. I turned my gaze towards the X Mark. This time, there were two red lights, one blinking and the other steady.

Only thing that kept running in my mind was a line by my dear friend, AKY.
"I felt my eyes moisten and I fought back the tears. The cross on the back of the last coach of a train had never been more heart wrenching."


No comments:

Post a Comment